Louisville URBAN LEAGUE (Louisville, KY, PA)
President and Chief Executive Officer
Position: President and CEO
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Reports to: Board of Directors
The mission of the Louisville Urban League (LUL) is to support African-American and disadvantaged persons and families in the struggle to achieve social and economic equality. Its goals are threefold: economically stable families; successful school-age youth; and education and employment success for its clients.
In the 2013-2014 fiscal year, the organization served almost 12,400 individuals with opportunities to achieve economic stability. LUL estimates that the $3.24 million spent in services and operations had an impact of nearly $40 million on the greater community. This return on investment comes in the form of wages earned by clients placed in employment, the value of homes purchased or saved from foreclosure, investment in education of youth, tax returns prepared for clients, utility assistance provided to families, and wages and payments to LUL staff and vendors.
LUL is recognized and respected by the Louisville community, city leadership, and the city’s top corporate givers as a successful operator of social programs. Its day-to-day operations and programs are managed by a professional and enthusiastic staff. The LUL is well-positioned for substantial growth and success in the years to come. The organization has been ably led and managed for the last 28 years by Ben Richmond. With Ben’s announcement of his retirement in 2015, the organization is seeking a new leader to take the LUL to the next level.
As a result of its successes, LUL consistently receives high marks nationally for fiscal management and internal control standards in independent annual audits, and meets the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance Standards for Charity Accountability.
You can find out more about the Louisville Urban League at www.lul.org
The new president of LUL will be a proven, dynamic leader with a passion for the Urban League’s mission and a track record of successfully managing a non-profit or like-kind responsibility (corporate, association, or government entity) in a city with diverse needs and economic opportunity. The new president will effectively manage the professional staff of around 25 and $3.24 million in revenues.
The new president of the LUL must be prepared to champion change, both internally and in the wider community. The new leader will make development his or her mission. This focus on development includes cultivating, fostering, and maintaining relationships with external stakeholders. It also means the development and enrichment of Urban League staff to achieve their full potential and expand their capabilities and reach. The new president will emphasize the implementation of a comprehensive fundraising strategy and will be responsible for broadening the LUL brand in the local community.
He or she will be responsible for carrying out a four-pronged strategic plan:
- Become the face of LUL and communicate effectively with the population the organization serves as well as with business, industry, government, and community leaders.
- Build and execute a comprehensive marketing and development program, including effective use of board resources.
- Evaluate current staff and attract and motivate professional and entrepreneurial staff leaders and team members.
- Evaluate current services to ensure they continue to meet community needs; develop better client assessment tools; develop departmental plans that meet strategic plan goals; allocate resources for staff development.
Key Executive Skills & Requirements:
- Ten years’ leadership experience in an organization similar in scope and mission to LUL, either in the private sector or not-for-profit sector.
- College degree required; advanced degree (MBA or other discipline) preferred.
- Demonstrated success in all aspects of development, specifically with major donors and cultivating large partnerships.
- Experience with successfully managing an organization or business unit with a budget of $4 million or more preferred.
- Experience in successfully partnering with a strong and active board and other key leaders.
- Thorough understanding of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, productivity, human behavior and performance, and coordination of people and resources.
- Ability to communicate to a wide range of stakeholders, from business executives to governmental leaders, the press, and the public.
- Capable of setting and meeting priorities in a fast-paced environment; efficient at time management.
- Excellent judgment, as well as organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving, and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience in issues regarding housing, workforce development, or youth education on a national level.
Executive Competencies & Desired Personal Traits:
- Proven leader whose successful career has been distinguished in large part by a passion for community service and involvement; a visionary, involved leader and champion for social and economic equality.
- Self-starter and strategic thinker.
- Integrity above reproach. An abiding commitment to values of diversity and inclusion; a reputation for fairness. The courage to make difficult, values-based decisions ethically.
- The ability to build and enhance relationships with government entities, entrepreneurs, the private sector, and business community members. Active in the community.
- Executive presence, polish, and self-confidence in the public sphere. A servant heart.
- Take-charge individual who can manage, motivate, challenge, and delegate to others.
- Strong communicator with internal and external audiences; good listener; excellent written and oral communication skills.
To apply for this position, DO NOT contact the Louisville Urban League directly. Please send resumes to:
Compensation: Competitive compensation plus benefits.
Send resumes to:
Office (512) 478-1131
Fax (512) 479-1985
All inquiries are kept confidential.